Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Embarkation Day! Inauguration Day!

We board the ship today! I'll just have time to catch the inauguration at a hotel lobby somewhere in town (2:00 p.m. local time) and then we meet at the Pier at 3:30. A couple hours later we'll be sailing east down the Beagle Channel, bound for our first stop in the Falkland Islands. Based on the wind today, I'll be applying the seasickness med patches immediately. I don't know if I get seasick, but I've heard enough stories that I don't want to find out. We'll have some long open water crossings at first... time for lectures from the staff about ice and ecology and climate, and reading, relaxing, and getting to know my 45 shipmates.

3 comments:

  1. Safe voyage. Please tell us what ship you are on. I hope you can upload pics as you cruise.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you are seeing beautiful scenery and enjoying the company of interesting people! Yes, the inauguation of Obama has been the BIG TOPIC all weekend and has been covered extensively by TV -- with greatest number of people to ever attend an inauguation, including Chris and Amanda. They were going to brave the cold and crowds to attend.
    Have a great voyage -- Love ya -- Mom

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ahh, common Ken try it without the patches, as long as the ship is moving it shouldn't be too bad.

    ReplyDelete